S3Sync.net
February 02, 2014, 01:25:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dots in folder names... Bug?  (Read 6519 times)
mhulse

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »

Just curious... Has anyone else experienced any problems with dots in folder names?

I have two folders:

/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete --verbose /sync/this/folder/v3/ my-bucket:v3
#/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete --verbose /sync/this/folder/v3.5/ my-bucket:v3.5

In the above code, I ran s3sync, and (from what I can tell) the "v3" content deleted the content from my "v3.5" bucket!

Any tips? Should I be quoting my paths?

Thanks!
M
Admin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:55 PM »

Interesting.  Please attach -d -v log
mhulse

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »

Thanks! I will try to get that tested by EOD. I will setup a sandbox. Smiley

Thanks!
Micky
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:14:29 PM by mhulse » Logged
mhulse

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »

Hi,

I duplicated the v3 and v3.5 folders/nodes (with all the same contents) on my local server, and then I used s3Sync to upload them to my S3 bucket:

/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete -d -v /sync/this/folder/v5/ my-bucket:v5
/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete -d -v /sync/this/folder/v5.5/ my-bucket:v5.5

This successfully uploaded the content to my-bucket on S3.

I then commented-out the second line, and ran the script again:

/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete -d -v /sync/this/folder/v5/ my-bucket:v5
#/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete -d -v /sync/this/folder/v5.5/ my-bucket:v5.5

The contents of my v5.5 folder/node were deleted, and the v5 folder/node was successfully updated.

I will PM you the log.

Thanks so much for you help! I really appreciate it. Smiley

Cheers,
Micky
ferrix

(I am greg13070 on AWS forum)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »

You can PM it to me. (I don't think the admin account can get PMs) 
ferrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »

Aha, I should have seen this from your command line.

I'm doing this from memory here, but:
When you don't end the S3 path in a slash, anything that starts with that "prefix" gets seen as a subdirectory.  I think this could be classified as a bug in the client code, since I don't think anyone ever intends that usage.  It's an artifact of how S3 does list operations.  Try trailing the s3 path with a slash?
mhulse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »

Hi Ferrix! Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Smiley

I added slashes to the ends of my nodes (see below), but this time it deleted the v5.5 node! I dunno, maybe I am doing it wrong. Sad

Details:

/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete -d -v /sync/this/folder/v5/ my-bucket:v5/
#/path/to/ruby /path/to/s3cmd/s3sync.rb -r -p --delete -d -v /sync/this/folder/v5.5/ my-bucket:v5.5/

I wonder if we are running an older version of the s3Sync code?

I will send you new log files. Smiley

Thanks again!!!!

Cheers,
Micky
ferrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »

It could be a bug still.  I have been going by memory and not actually testing. 

I have been trying to get time to make a new s3sync that will be more easily extended and have less limitations.  One down side to having this plan is that making changes and fixes to the old code seems a waste of time, and I've been neglecting it.
mhulse

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »

Oh, for sure. I completely understand.

I have no complaints at all. I may still be doing something wrong and/or I could just not sync the folders with dots in their names... Anyway/after all, the code is 100% free!

Thanks so much for you help!

Have a great day. Smiley

Cheers,
Micky
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: