S3Sync.net
February 02, 2014, 01:34:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: delete option documented?  (Read 4428 times)
michela

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2007, 12:25:37 PM »

Hi

Is there any documentation on the --delete syntax? Or any of the other options for that matter?

I for one could really use more examples and a oneliner on each of the options for s3sync.

Happy to contribute some of my notes to the wiki as I go but don't want to edit the homepage without checking first.

A bit weird that the best doco is elsewhere
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=931&categoryID=100

But thanks for what looks like a very useful tool!

Cheers
  .M.
ferrix

(I am greg13070 on AWS forum)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »

Documented?  It doesn't take arguments.  It means delete stuff at the target which is not on the source.
agbert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »

Documented?  It doesn't take arguments.  It means delete stuff at the target which is not on the source.

Yes, documented. Some people have been told to RTFM so well [read: flamed to heck] that they look for documentation instinctively before asking questions in a venue like this.

Let me try...

According to what you say, "--delete" will delete any file that is on the target which is not on the source.

Example: When used incrementally (say, once daily)
Code:
s3sync -svr --delete /home <bucketName>:/home
Will cause an exact copy of /home to be created. If /home/user1 existed in the source location on day 1. After running this command on day 2 /home/user1 would not appear in the S3 bucket.

Conversely for a restore. If /home/user1 existed locally and did not on the S3, then:
Code:
s3sync -svr --delete <bucketName>:/home /home
Would delete /home/user1 locally.

Is this accurate?

Thanks,
Andrew...

[Edit]
disclaimer... I have not tested ANY of this, so don't take my word. Always do your own testing before relying on any advice/documentation.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:37:21 AM by agbert » Logged
ferrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »

In the first test, you neglected to say that you deleted user1 from local, but I assume that's what you meant.  And yes, that's how it should work.  You can think of --delete as a synonym for "keep it the same, even if it's destructive to some things on the target side"
michela

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »

Thanks agbert

RTFM - Read The Ferrix's Mind...

{;-)
   .M.
ferrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 02:07:48 AM »

There is a wiki here (see main site).  I would be thrilled for anyone to add more documentation or clarifications.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: