S3Sync.net
February 02, 2014, 01:27:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inactivity timeout  (Read 3901 times)
denix

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:42:53 AM »

We live out in the sticks, and our DSL connection is slow and flaky, and occasionally drops and has to resync.

If we are running a long transfer in s3sync, it hangs and never resumes. However, s3sync stays running, idle.

I have a nightly cron job that checks if s3sync is running, and if it isn't, starts it to do a backup. This works fine unless s3sync is hung, in which case nothing ever happens until I manually kill it.

I realise a workaround would be to have the cron job kill s3sync and run it again, but I'm sometimes dealing with large (>1Gb) files and would prefer not to have it start them over. However, sometimes the transfer of all changed-stuff takes over a day, which is why I'm having to do the check for a running s3sync in the first place.

It would be nice if s3sync would just die if it hadn't transferred anything for a minute or two. That way I wouldn't have to sort it out by hand every time it hangs.
ferrix

(I am greg13070 on AWS forum)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »

You could write a patch in a progress-stream-like fashion that runs an idle timer and aborts.  Someone else had a similar request, but I don't necessarily see doing that myself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: