S3Sync.net
February 02, 2014, 01:30:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there anyway to make s3sync to follow local symlinks to directories?  (Read 4761 times)
mv

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »

Hi. I've been using s3sync for a couple of weeks to upload backup files to S3 (S3 is my secondary backup repository). I think it is a great tool. However, I need to make s3sync to follow symlinks pointing to directories.

My sync directory has no files, but symlinks pointing to the real location of the files to sync (some directories are on this server, others are mounts from remote servers, but only this server can connect to S3). Using symlinks allow me to have only one sync directory without copy the data files. With rsync (which is what we use to sync to another provider) I can use the option "--copy-dirlinks" and then rsync treat those symlinks as directories, but with s3sync I cannot find any option to do that.

So, my question is: is there anyway to make s3sync to follow local symlinks to directories?

Please note that our data files are large encrypted DAR files containing legacy data that must be preserved, but not directly restored with s3sync.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

MV

ferrix

(I am greg13070 on AWS forum)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:09:02 AM »

Not presently, no.  One hacky way to do it, I suppose, would be to comment out the symlink cases.  I think they'd get treated like normal dirs then.
mv

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »

Hi again,

Not presently, no.  One hacky way to do it, I suppose, would be to comment out the symlink cases.  I think they'd get treated like normal dirs then.

Thanks a lot! I modified the checks for symlinks in the s3sync.rb script file and then it worked like I wanted (it follows the symlinks).    Cheesy 

Regards,

MV
gujjulive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

I am having same issue. Can you send me the modified version of the script please.
gujjulive

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »

I am having same problem. I don't know much about ruby, so can I get a modified script also?
rupesh_patel@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: