S3Sync.net
February 02, 2014, 01:20:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: leave old backups on S3 -- i.e. myfile.old1 when reuploading myfile  (Read 3966 times)
Scott

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »

It looks like S3 supports rename now -- well via no bandwith charge copy.

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/ann.jspa?annID=360
   http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/2006-03-01/index.html?UsingCopyingObjects.html

I want s3sync to keep old copies of files -- if my local copy gets corrupted I don't want to replace my backup with the corrupted file.

So I'm thinking maybe two options might be cool:

--keep-old-revisions 3

Maintain old revisions, but keep at most 3 copies.  On upload, copy the existing S3 one to file.revision1, 2 or 3, then upload the new file into existing name.

--keep-original

Never overwrite the original that was first put into S3.  On upload, check if file.original exists, if not, copy existing S3 to file.original.  Then upload new one to existing name.
luke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »

As far as I can see this doesn't support copy yet (I'm on 1.2.4). If I put two s3 locations in the put command it errors.  If it supported the copy function (or put from and to s3) we could perform our own versioning.  I had a look at the source code but Ruby isn't my strong point and all I've managed to do is break the script so far!

Is there any sort of ETA on when a copy function might be available?  I'd be more than happy to assist in testing, this tool is otherwise excellent!

Cheers,
Luke
ferrix

(I am greg13070 on AWS forum)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:15:59 PM »

The poor project has been neglected for a couple years because of lack of time.  I plan a complete rewrite, avoiding ruby in favor of either lua and C, or java.  But it has not happened yet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: