S3Sync.net
February 02, 2014, 01:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: extrange files created when upload to s3  (Read 3156 times)
michelson

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:07:47 PM »

Hello , im new here,

im uploading files using a s3sync command inside a ruby script

s3sync --public-read -r #{RAILS_ROOT}/public/art_works/#{a.id}/  #{put_bucket}:#{a.user_id}/art_works/#{a.id}/

the files are uploaded ok , but my problem is that i have found rare files created with content like this:

{E40327BF-517A-46e8-A6C3-AF51BC263F59}

in paths like this

https://s3.amazonaws.com/artenlinea_copy/1/art_works/11996/small

when the file uploaded are in path like this

https://s3.amazonaws.com/artenlinea_copy/1/art_works/11996/small/my-photo.jpg

so i have the path /small and a file /small , in the same path

all the files are uploaded correct , but i just dont know what are this files , and how can avoid those.

hope you can helpme guys
ferrix

(I am greg13070 on AWS forum)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

Those are nodes that s3sync uses to denote a folder/directory.  The md5 is well-known so a list operation can quickly know that it's a directory name and not a file.  They need their own node in order to store permission and owner data. 

Other tools after s3sync came along and used different standards.  Such as not storing any dir nodes, or using a node whose name trails a "/" and has empty contents.  These other tools don't really understand what s3sync is doing with its dir nodes, which is why it shows them to you in a manner that you think they are something strange.  Don't worry, they are just normal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: